Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Logan's Run (1977) TV series

Main writers: D.C. Fontana, George Clayton Johnson

Composers: Laurence Rosenthal, Bruce Broughton, Jerrold Immel

Starring: Gregory Harrison, Heather Menzies-Urich, Donald Moffat, Randy Powell

More info: IMDb


Plot: In a futuristic society where reaching the age of 30 is a death sentence, a rebellious law enforcement agent goes on the run in search of Sanctuary.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

I've seen LOGAN'S RUN (1976) a few times over the past forty years and each time I see it I hope that I'll dig it more than before but I don't.  It's got some great ideas but it's too much of a mixed bag to really love.  This series that debuted the following year didn't last long (14 episodes).  It's probably that I saw it in its original run because I was a 8 year old science fiction junkie by then.  I don't remember a lick of it but it's the kind of thing I would've watched.  Now that I'm finally an adult (debatable) I'm watching it with new eyes, eyes that don't want to go any further.  I watched the TV movie that kicked off the series and that's as far as I want to go.  It's OK.  Once our heroes left Dome City (several establishing shots were re-used from the film for this series) it doesn't take long before you figure out how this series was going to try to survive.  Each episode would have them encounter one group of people after another as they searched for the mythical Sanctuary City, a place where everything is lovely and people can live in peace and harmony.  It's like any number of other shows you'd find that would grow tiresome.  The budget feels low, everything shot outdoors is the all too familiar Southern California ranch landscape. the acting is adequate, the story was too easy and it's got that goofy language that Hollywood predicts you'll get when society is broken up into isolated tribes so using proper English gets replaced with something more stylized and silly.  I hoped that it would be a show that would intrigue me enough to watch it until the end (there are minor guest stars that I dig) but after slogging through the first hour and a half, I could tell it wasn't likely to get better and I didn't need another ten or so hours to tell me that.  That's a lot of crappy movies I could watch instead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment