Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Sinful Davey (1969)

Director: John Huston

Writer: David Haggart

Composer: Ken Thorne

Starring: John Hurt, Pamela Franklin, Nigel Davenport, Ronald Fraser, Robert Morley, Fidelma Murphy, Maxine Audley, Fionnula Flanagan, Donal McCann

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Down with virtue! Down with the law! Up With Davey!

Plot: The humorous adventures of the notorious Scottish highwayman and thief Davey Haggart during the 1820s in Britain.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

This likable picture has a lot going for it with a great cast (led by John Hurt playing Davey with much gusto), a wonderful setting (exteriors and interiors), nice pacing and a few laughs.  I'm not sure why I wasn't won over by it.  Maybe it's that it wasn't funnier.  John Hurt really does a fine job and he brings a lot of energy to the movie.  It's worth watching just for him.  The supporting cast is good, too, and there are a few faces and names I'm familiar with.  It's always great seeing Nigel Davenport in anything.  I'd almost forgotten how much I liked him.  He's got that Robert Shaw thing going on (roguish and a solidly good actor to boot).  It could be that this picture feels more episodic in Davey's adventures (by design).  But then now that I'm thinking about it, everything happens in a reasonably narrative manner.  I think it's exactly how the filmmakers wanted it...it's a good piece of light entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment