Sunday, August 13, 2017

Harry in Your Pocket (1973)

Director: Bruce Geller

Writers: James D. Buchanan, Ronald Austin

Composer: Lalo Schifrin

Starring: James Coburn, Michael Sarrazin, Trish Van Devere, Walter Pidgeon, Michael C. Gwynne, Tony Giorgio, Michael Stearns, Susan Mullen

More info: IMDb

Tagline: If you only have eyes for her... If you just bumped into a stranger... If suddenly you develop sex appeal... You've got... "Harry In Your Pocket!"

Plot: A would-be criminal is taken in by a professional in the game, who teaches him how pickpockets work in teams.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

Even though I kinda dug the film, I don't think there was anything anyone but a script doctor could've done to make it better.  It's the only film Geller directed and I think he did a great job.  Schifrin's score works nicely and the cast is great.  Pidgeon was a great choice.  I loves me some Coburn but his character, Harry, isn't allowed to have much pleasing charm.  Oh, he lays it on sometimes but he's also too much of a hardass to allow much of it to come through.  He's almost all business so that wonderful charisma Coburn has in spades gets sidelined for most of the picture.  The story, I think, is where there was room for improvement.  It's good but it could've used a boost of something that would've made the film more interesting and engaging.  It could've been the casting of Sarrazin.  Perhaps getting someone more easily likable would've helped.  I like the guy and all but I didn't really care what happened to him one way or the other which could've been what they were going for.  For fans of any of these cats this is one of those pictures you're just going to want to see.  It's not a bad way to spend and hour and forty minutes but it's not as satisfying as I hoped it would be.


No comments:

Post a Comment