Sunday, February 16, 2014

C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America (2004)

Director: Kevin Wilmott

Writer: Kevin Willmott

Composers: Erich L. Timkar, Kelly Werts

Starring: Greg Kirsch, Renee Patrick, Molly Graham, William Willmott, Rupert Pate, Evamarii Johnson, Greg Hurd, Ryan L. Carroll, Don Carlton

More info: IMDb

Tagline: What if the South had won the War?

Plot: Through the eyes of a British "documentary", this film takes a satirically humorous, and sometimes frightening, look at the history of an America where the South won the Civil War.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? No.

Boy, what a let down.  While I found some of this pretty clever, it wasn't nearly as fun or as biting of a satire as I would have preferred.  Blame it on my preconceptions of what this film was about (you can also blame the trailer as it makes the film look absolutely outrageous) or maybe the movie isn't as strong as it wants to be.  The best parts were discovering the many of the 'commercials' within the picture were based on actual products.  You laugh until you find out how real they were and then you're laughing in disgust. As a Southerner and as a rational person, I couldn't find much about this film to enjoy and I have no problem with folks making fun of The South. I've had 45 years of that. Sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's not.  Funny is funny no matter what the subject is.  I kept waiting for the funny or painful social comment with this film but, there was only a little bit there and not enough to justify watching it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment