Sunday, December 4, 2011

Tower of Screaming Virgins (1968)




Director: Franz Antel

Starring: Teri Tordai, Jean Piat, Uschi Glas, Veronique Vendell, Marie-Ange Anies

More info: IMDb

Tagline: There's no second time around when you enter the...Tower of Screaming Virgins

Plot: When the corpses of young men are found in the vicinity of the 'Tower of Sin,' the local peasants believe it's the work of 'The Witch of the Tower'--'First she makes love to them, then she kills them!' Actually, the 'witch' turns out to be none other than the Queen of France (?!) who is seen stalking her prey bareass naked except for a scarlet hood.





My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

How awesome is that title? What's better is that this is a pretty good swashbuckling horror adventure. I really dug it. The action is good, the performances are fun, especially from our hero, Captain Bouridan (played with gusto by Jean Piat), the story is good and unusually intricate and there are people fighting each other with swords! It's a mild Eurosleaze costume drama action swashbuckler!!!


I was shocked that it was so good. So often movies of this type are OK at best but I found myself giving this one a lot more of my attention. I have a fuzzy widescreen print that's far from perfect but I see that there's a fan dub of a beautifully crisp DVD transfer that now has an English soundtrack. I would normally prefer the original language but the English dub is exceedingly well done. I'm so happy I watched this. So far I'm only a couple of days into my month of 1968 and every film is a winner. This can't possibly last.



No comments:

Post a Comment