Friday, December 9, 2011

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1968)



Director: Charles Jarrott

Starring: Jack Palance, Denholm Elliott, Leo Genn, Torin Thatcher, Rex Sevenoaks, Gillie Fenwick, Elizabeth Cole, Duncan Lamont, Paul Harding

More info: IMDb

Plot: Dr. Henry Jekyll experiments on himself with a concoction that he hopes will neutralize his baser instincts but will release without inhibition his long-repressed animal inclinations.



My rating: 8.5/10

Will I watch it again? YES!

I can't say I've seen most movie versions of this story but I have seen a bunch and this is without question the best of the lot! That's a bold statement, sure, but have you seen this? Palance is a beast. He's acting his nuts off. He's very soft spoken and gentle (a nice change of pace for Palance) but when he goes to the Hyde side, HOLY SHIT is he a mean ass mother fucker! I was beside myself.





Everything about this production is tops. I can't say enough about it. Sure, it's 2 hours long but it's worth every minute. The entire crew deserves a round of applause for putting this together as well as they did. And to think this was for TV!!! It had to have been pushing the limits at that time. I can't remember how many years it's been since I actually watched anything on TV that had commercial interruptions besides the news. I can't imagine how awful it must have been to see something this good and intense with commercials. Anyway, you need to see this, Palance fan or not. He's absolutely fantastic but the greatness doesn't stop there. WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment