Tuesday, December 13, 2011

For the Love of Dolly (2006)


Director: Tai Uhlmann

Starring: Dolly Parton and a plethora of rabid fans

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Dolly Parton is more than a country singer. She is a way of life.

Plot: This documentary, filmed over the course of a year, focuses on the lives of five of Dolly Parton's biggest fans, why they love her, what drew them to her, and the lengths to which they go to connect with her in person. It weaves their personal histories via interviews and home movies with footage from their pilgrimages to Dollywood. Ms. Parton makes several appearances throughout.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

Wow. Just. Wow. I'm not obsessed with anything. I'm very passionate about a few things but not to the point that any of these fans are - not by a long shot. This picture is just under an hour long and it's quite entertaining; well, the subjects of the piece are entertaining akin to watching a train wreck - you stare in disbelief that something so tragic could happen. It's easy to make fun of them but I won't except for the two female best friends who built a replica of Dolly's childhood home (a small shack) in their backyard! They also go through a rental car used by Dolly and her assistant/driver to find such valuables like hair. They're just plain nuts. The other two subjects seem normal in comparison.

I didn't realize Droopy Dog went on to a career in law enforcement.


It's remarkable the length fans will go to be closer to their idols. I'm glad I'm not one of them. I have better things to do like watch shitty movies. Say, that reminds me, I should see what I can get on Ebay for that half drunk can of Tab Olivia Newton-John gave me back in '82. It should fetch a fair price - it tastes the same as it did 30 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment