Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hammerhead (1968)



Director: David Miller

Starring: Vince Edwards, Judy Geeson, Peter Vaughan, Diana Dors, Michael Bates, Beverly Adams, Patrick Cargill, Patrick Holt

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Nothing ever hit you like 'Hammerhead'.

Plot: Secret Agent Charles Hood (Edwards) is on the trail of the criminal master spy Hammerhead (Vaughn) and discovers some NATO secrets in between his hobby of collecting antique erotica from around the world. Hood must stop the evil hammerhead before he uses the secret information to spark an incident of international terrorism. In order to stop Hammerhead’s sordid plan, he poses as a courier delivering erotica to the spy.



My rating: 4/10

Will I watch it again? No.

OK Eurospy movie that's lighthearted enough in tone so as to let you know it doesn't take itself too seriously but then it doesn't have what it takes to play it straight - a good story. I was rather bored. Edwards makes an OK lead I guess but I wasn't buying him as a James Bond type but more aloof. Seriously, just look at how he dresses (he's the one on the right)...


Was it ever groovy to wear a short sleeved dress shirt and tie in '68? I don't know. There just wasn't anything to rally behind in this picture to make it worth my time. You can do worse and you can do better. Bland. Maybe a nice widescreen print would help but I don't see how. And to think this director also made LONELY ARE THE BRAVE (1962), one of best (if not THE best) roles Kirk Douglas ever had. He must have been asleep at the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment