Monday, December 26, 2011

The Cottage (2008)




Director: Paul Andrew Williams

Starring: Andy Serkis, Reece Shearsmith, Jennifer Ellison, Steven O'Donnell, James Bierman, Cat Meacher, Danny Nussbaum, Logan Wong

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Sleeps six bloody comfortably.

Plot: In a remote part of the countryside, a bungled kidnapping turns into a living nightmare for four central characters when they cross paths with a psychopathic farmer and all hell breaks loose.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

Andy Serkis was what drew me to this picture and he's the best part about it. Unfortunately his two cohorts in crime are idiots and that's where they started to lose me. Sometimes their foolishness worked and sometimes it was "are you fucking kidding me?". It might sound like I didn't like the movie but I did. That's just my big annoyance. The killers sent to dispense of the kidnappers were fun as was just about everything else. I really like the unexpected horror aspect and that it wasn't played for the obvious laughs. The giggles came from things like hacking part of a guy's foot off or a shovel to the face between the jaw line. Shit like that was pretty funny and I'm glad they decided to play straight the mass murderer. If they hadn't you'd be rolling your eyes. There's some good gore and some genuinely good laughs and I liked it enough to check out the director's other two British crime films, LONDON TO BRIGHTON (2006) and CHERRY TREE LANE (2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment