Monday, June 14, 2010

Werewolves on Wheels (1971)


Director: Michel Levesque

Starring: Steve Oliver, D.J. Anderson, Gene Shane and Severn Darden

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: This Gang Thought It Was Tough... 'til it found a new type of hell...The Bride of Satan!

Plot: A biker gang visits a monastery where they encounter black-robed monks engaged in worshipping Satan. When the monks try to persuade one of the female bikers, Helen, to become a satanic sacrifice the bikers smash up the monastery and leave. The monks have the last laugh, though, as Helen, as a result of the satanic rituals, is now possessed and at night changes into a werewolf, with dire results for the biker gang.



My Rating: 5/10

Would I watch it again? I've got this strange vibe that it might just be better the second time

#15 on Dusk to Dawn Drive-In Trash-o-Rama Show Vol. 1 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)


I've got a stack of easily 150-200 movies that I've watched since I started this blog and haven't written about yet. It's been about two and a half years since I started this and this post marks the 400th film I've written about. I'm sad to say that #400 belongs to WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS!



As a biker film, it's not THAT bad. It's got bad dudes & chicks doing bad things, some great nudity, some action and a FANTASTIC soundtrack...but for fuck's sake! It's fucking called WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS and you don't get any goddamned werewolves until the last 7 minutes. But wait! There's more! Only two of the bikers turn into werewolves and only one of them gets on a friggin' bike! I call shenanigans!


I can't tell you how disappointed I was after getting all excited from that great trailer to have to wait until way past the point of WHAT THE FUCK that you get what was promised. OK, so having said that, I'd probably give this a 6.5 if it weren't for that fact alone. The acting's not that bad and the story's pretty cool. Add to that the bizarre supernatural element and the occasional artistic shots and twists, and you've got something that's definitely different than the other biker flicks of that era. I'm just having a hard time getting past the near-deceit. I wanted werewolves on motorcycles, damnit!


When's the last time you saw a great shot like that in a biker flick?

It's my fault, really, because I imagined a biker gang that terrorizes campers and townsfolk during the day and at night during a full moon, they go on a killing rampage on the hippie-haters. I don't know, I just had a different movie in mind, that's all. I can't blame the film for that...but it is rather slow and that certainly doesn't help its case any.


I've watched a few biker flicks lately and every one of them that has the word "Devils" in the name of their gang, they use the word as a possessive yet they leave out the apostrophe. What the hell is that shit all about? Didn't these people ever go to school?


If you're into biker flicks, you can do a helluva lot worse. It was probably too much to ask that a film with a title this incredible could live up to its name. Blue Underground put out a great widescreen DVD of it with a few extras including a commentary. I'll probably at least go back and watch it again sometime, listening to the commentary. I'm sure it's enlightening.

"Enough is enough! I'm tired of these motherfuckin' werewolves on these motherfuckin' wheels!"

WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS ain't half bad...but it ain't half good, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment