Sunday, June 27, 2010

Teenagers from Outer Space (1959)


Director: Tom Graeff

Starring: David Love & Dawn Bender

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Teenage hoodlums from another world on a horrendous rampage!

Plot: A young alien falls for a pretty teenage Earth girl (Dawn Anderson) and they team up to try to stop the plans of his invading cohorts, who intend to use Earth as a food-breeding ground for giant lobsters from their planet.



My Rating: 3/10

Would I watch it again? Aw, hell no! OK, maybe, JUST maybe the MST3K version.

To everyone who showed up last night to watch this on a double bill with CHILDREN OF THE CORN (1984), I'm sorry. I'm so very, very sorry.


So I had some friends over to watch movies outside on a 12' wide screen under the stars. It was a beautiful summer night. I had a lapse in judgment when it came to the movie selection. I have no one to blame but myself as I had never seen any of these. As it turns out, I never want to see them again.


I LOVE bad movies, the ones that are "so bad they're good". The problem with a lot of them is that they over-stay their welcome. At 85 minutes, this one is way too long but it does have some great bad moments.


The teenagers from outer space (and from Earth) are in their mid-twenties and some are clearly approaching 30.


The evil Gargon monsters are lobsters. And when they grow, they're shadow lobsters!


Gramps trying to cross the street (HILARIOUS!)...



So the teenager from outer space, his name is Derek? It's remarkable! That's a common name here on Earth as well.


Heh, heh! I like where this is going!

This 27 year old teenager needs to have my babies!

BADASS ray guns reduce Earth creatures to skeletons...


Skeletons cannot swim...


This guy's voice work is priceless!


But all of these great moments add up to about 20 minutes of fun with a good 60+ yawn-inducing minutes interspersed between it. I knew it was going to be bad but I also hoped it would at least be entertaining enough to sustain me to the end. Sigh.

This just in...Gramps is still trying to cross the street!



No comments:

Post a Comment