Sunday, February 15, 2009

WWII German Training Film: Sharpshooter - Master of Camouflage and Deception (1944)

Director: ?

Starring: German soldiers

More Info: none available

Plot: WWII German military training film dealing with camouflage and the art of concealment.

My Rating: 7/10

Would I watch it again? Yep.



Since I can remember, I've been fascinated with WWI & WWII. They say history is written by the victors. True but what about the losers? We hear so much about the enemy from the winner's perspective but I'd like to see it from theirs. This film and the next one I'll talk about, THE UNSEEN WEAPON, don't necessarily give us the German viewpoint as it gives us a glimpse into how they trained. These are training films meant to teach and nothing else. There is no propaganda present.



In this one we get to learn about how important camouflage is and how to make it. The latter is fascinating at how skillful you must be in the field to hide yourself from the enemy. In a way it reminded me of that Monty Python bit about "How Not to be Seen" from their TV show.



The film is about a half hour long and doesn't over-stay it's welcome but if you like these sorts of training videos from previous wars then you will thoroughly enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment