Monday, September 25, 2017

Cult of the Damned (1969)

Original title: Angel, Angel, Down We Go

Director: Robert Thom

Writer: Robert Thom

Composer: Fred Karger

Starring: Jennifer Jones, Jordan Christopher, Holly Near, Lou Rawls, Charles Aidman, Davey Davison, Roddy McDowall, Marty Brill, Carol Costello, Danielle Aubry

More info: IMDb

Tagline: If You're Over 30 This Is A Horror Story!

Plot: The overweight debutante daughter of the world's wealthiest couple falls in with a gang of tripped out, skydiving pseudo-reactionary pop stars, who take their beliefs of the American ideal to profoundly impossible heights.



My rating: 4/10

Will I watch it again?  Oh, no.

Either I'm oblivious to what the hell was going on here besides what I thought was obvious or this is simply self-indulgent, idealistic hippie droppings.  If I get bored during a movie then that's when I start dipping below 5/10.  This was a bore but there were a couple of cats that got my attention and that's the great Lou Rawls and Roddy McDowall as hippies.  That novelty didn't last long.  They don't have much dialogue so they're more like hangers-on to the, a-hem, rock star.  I feel like I've seen my fair share of movies in the past year, made in the late 60s/early 70s, that have a bunch of hippie kids on a bender, tearing shit up, goofing around, basically doing harmful shit to people and things without any concern about consequences or responsibility.  That's not my scene, man!  It's a big turn off.  Maybe there are some pictures out there that have that element and actually do something with it that has meaning or really contributes to the story in at least an entertaining way.  These people are just obnoxious.  No thank you, I says.  After the first twenty minutes I just wanted to turn off, tune out and blow out.   I doubt seeing this in fullscreen instead of scope hurt the picture.  I've got a feeling I'd be saying the same thing had I just walked out of a theater.  Now if that theater were filled with hoped-up hippies thereby providing me with some entertaining atmosphere...that's something I could dig.




No comments:

Post a Comment