Saturday, September 2, 2017

Almost Summer (1978)

Director: Martin Davidson

Writers: Judith Berg, Sandra Berg, Martin Davidson, Marc Reid Rubel

Composers: Ron Altbach, Charles Lloyd

Starring: Bruno Kirby, Lee Purcell, John Friedrich, Didi Conn, Thomas Carter, Tim Matheson, Petronia Paley, David Wilson, Sherry Hursey, Harvey Lewis

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Aren't you glad it's...

Plot: The school election for student body president heats up and things get a little tense.  Not only is there money on the line but friends are tested and lessons are learned.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

This looked like it was going to be one of those raunchy high school comedies.  Somehow I duped myself because it wasn't what I expected.  It didn't matter, what brought me to this was seeing a couple of actors I really dig, Bruno Kirby (in possibly his first starring role) and Tim Matheson (who was 30 or 31 at the time playing a high school student!).  They're fun, especially Kirby.  Didi Conn is great (she needs to have my babies).  Hell, the whole cast is good.  This isn't some dumb comedy.  There's barely any nudity and if you blink you could miss it.  The story plays out nicely and I really liked how the ending snuck up on you.  Everything is going nicely at the dance and very stealthily, the credits start rolling.  It's a pretty good flick as long as you're not looking for the wrong thing going into it.  It's on YouTube free for nothin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment