Monday, July 31, 2017

The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)

Director: Don Taylor

Writers: H.G. Wells, Al Ramrus, John Herman Shaner, Richard Alan Simmons

Composer: Laurence Rosenthal

Starring: Burt Lancaster, Michael York, Nigel Davenport, Barbara Carrera, Richard Basehart, Nick Cravat, The Great John L., Bob Ozman, Fumio Demura, Gary Baxley, John Gillespie, David S. Cass Sr.

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The Doctor Is In-SANE!

Plot: A shipwrecked survivor discovers a remote island owned a crazed scientist who is carrying out sinister experiments on the island's inhabitants.



My rating:  6.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Probably not.

SPOILERS BE HERE...YARRRRRRR!!!

I've literally been wanting to see this for over 35 years and now the wait is over.  It's pretty good and better than I expected.  The island is beautiful.  I liked the casting, especially with Lancaster.  He didn't play it like your typical mad scientist who's let it go to his head.  He was reserved which was a nice change of genre pace.  I suppose the creature effects were good enough.  I liked that Moreau experimented on Andrew (York) and how that played out all the way to the end...that is until he's on the dingy for a few hours and the effects wore off so he's back to being the pretty boy he was earlier.  That was bullshit.  I would've been much happier had they left him in a semi-monstrous state.  You can't have everything.  A bleaker ending would have been appropriate for the decade and for the story, although I've never read the book/story.




No comments:

Post a Comment