Thursday, July 20, 2017

10 Rillington Place (1971)

Director: Richard Fleischer

Writers: Clive Exton, Ludovic Kennedy

Composer: John Dankworth

Starring: Richard Attenborough, Judy Geeson, John Hurt, Pat Heywood, Isobel Black, Miss Riley, Phyllis MacMahon, Andre Morell, Robert Hardy

More info: IMDb

Tagline: What happened to Ena and Geraldine and Beryl and Muriel and Rita and Ethel at 10 Rillington Place?

Plot: Based on the real-life case of the British serial killer John Christie, and what happened to his neighbours Tim and Beryl Evans.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Sure.

The movie starts of innocently enough and then BAM!  The first kill within a few short minutes!  Nice!!!  Something else happens early on and that's the appearance of John Hurt looking like I've never seen him before...young.  He's always looked old to me ever since I first time I saw him in anything.  It was ALIEN (1979).  I thought he was born middle-aged.  Jokes aside, it was odd seeing him look like he just got out of high school even though he was 29 when he made this.  The plot builds as you know Tim's (Hurt) young bride, Beryl (Geeson), is going to probably snuff it at some point as Christie (Attenborough) is very sweet on her.  See, this is based on the true account of this guy who strangled and then had sex with his victims.  Nearing the halfway mark I was very settled into the film and thinking it was OK but nothing all that great.  Then a certain something happens and there's no friggin' way Christie's getting out of this one.  From that point on I was hooked and taking up a good chunk of the edge of my seat.  The second half is even better than the first.  It's a good film with very good performances.  Some my find it a little slow but do stick with it because it gets interesting really fast just when you think it can't.  It's worth the wait.  An odd aside, this just happened to be the second Richard Fleischer movie I saw within three days.  The other was THE NEW CENTURIONS (1972), another very good picture.



No comments:

Post a Comment