Thursday, May 4, 2017

Don Juan DeMarco (1994)

Director: Jeremy Leven

Writer: Jeremy Leven

Composers:  Michael Kamen, Robert John Lange

Starring: Marlon Brando, Johnny Depp, Faye Dunaway, Geraldine Paihas, Bob Dishy, Rachel Ticotin, Talisa Soto, Tommy 'Tiny' Lister, Selena

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The story of the man who thought he was the greatest lover in the world... and the people who tried to cure him of it!

Plot: A psychiatrist must cure a young patient that presents himself as Don Juan, the greatest lover in the world.



My rating: 8.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Yes, and again, and again, and again...

I adore this movie. It's funny, tender, romantic and special.  The three leads nailed it.  It's my favorite Depp performance and Brando and Dunaway make such an adorable couple.   It's a modern fairy tale of sorts and it really doesn't matter if Don DeMarco's (Depp) story is true or not or if he really believes it's real.  It's real enough and it inspires others which is OK by me.  The score is gorgeous.  I've probably listened to the soundtrack a few hundred times over the past twenty something years.  This is one of those pictures that gets me all choked up and stuff which means I've mostly ever seen it alone.  It's not that I'm ashamed, I'm not, but like HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1978), it's one of those movies I prefer to watch alone to allow myself as much uninterrupted immersion as possible.  The New Line DVD is a flipper disc with the fullscreen version on one side and the non-anamorphic widescreen version on the other.  Extras-wise you get the Bryan Adams music video, the theatrical and international trailers (both fullscreen) and the isolated music score. 

No comments:

Post a Comment