Monday, June 6, 2016

The Newton Boys (1998)

Director: Richard Linklater

Writers: Claude Stanush, Richard Linklater, Clark Walker

Composer: Edward D. Barnes

Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Skeet Ulrich, Ethan Hawke, Gail Cronauer, Vincent D'Onofrio, Julianna Margulies, Dwight Yoakam, Chloe Webb, Bo Hopkins, Luke Askew

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Pests of the West

Plot: The story of the Newton gang, the most successful bank robbers in history, owing to their good planning and minimal violence.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Yes.

I can't believe I've lived nearly 50 years and I don't recall every hearing about The Newton Boys gang.  I'm sure I came across them at some point but I definitely don't remember it.  It's incredible what they accomplished and how little jail time they ended up getting.  Truly remarkable.  I'm going to have to get Stanush's book.  This picture is fun and McConaughey is great in the leader of the bunch.  He's so charming and likable.  Bo Hopkins is equally fun as the lawman on their trail.  I really dig that guy.  The period music is fun, the cars, clothes, the works.  It's a fascinating story how these kids were able to achieve what they did.  The humor is mischievous and it's mostly found during the many robberies they commit on screen.  I really enjoyed it.  I'll have to keep my eye out for the DVD and hope it's got plenty of extras.  I watched it on Netflix.  Make sure you stay and watch the end credits with some of the real life boys.  It's a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment