Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013)

Director: David Lowery

Writer: David Lowery

Composer: Daniel Hart

Starring: Rooney Mara, Casey Affleck, Ben Foster, Keith Carradine, Kennadie Smith, Jacklynn Smith, Nate Parker, Robert Longstreet, Charles Baker, Augustine Frizzell, Kentucker Audley, David Zellner

More info: IMDb

Tagline:

Plot: The tale of an outlaw who escapes from prison and sets out across the Texas hills to reunite with his wife and the daughter he has never met.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

I've now seen only two of Casey Affleck's starring roles, the other being THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD (2007) and I'm hoping this kid has a better vocal range in his other pictures.  This is one of the few films I missed at Sundance a couple of years ago that I really wanted to see.  I'm kind of glad I missed it then.  It's not a bad film.  If you watch the trailer (which I didn't until after the film was over) then you'll get a sense of the tone.  It's low key and meditative.  There's a little action in the beginning and the end and that's it but then this is a drama.  Affleck, like in FORD, is soft spoken as if he was trying to see if he could speak with the least amount of muscle effort in his face.  He's quiet and that gets old, but then it fits the film with the soft music and soundscape.  The performances are fine but it's Carradine that perked things up for me.  Every time he's on screen he owns it.  Most of the film builds to the climactic finale but it's more of a whisper like the rest of the picture.  No surprise there.  It's currently on Netflix streaming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment