Sunday, June 5, 2016

Porky's (1981)

Director: Bob Clark

Writer:  Bob Clark

Composers: Paul Zaza, Carl Zittrer

Starring: Dan Monahan, Mark Herrier, Wyatt Knight, Roger Wilson, Cyril O'Reilly, Tony Ganios, Kaki Hunter, Kim Cattrall, Nancy Parsons, Scott Colomby, Boyd Gaines, Doug McGrath, Art Hindle, Wayne Maunder, Alex Karras, Chuck Mitchell

More info: IMDb

Tagline:  You'll be glad you came!

Plot: Set in 1954, a group of Florida high schoolers seek out to help a buddy lose his virginity, which leads them to seek revenge on a sleazy bar owner and his redneck sheriff brother for harassing them.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

I'd swear I saw this thirty-somethin' years ago but it must've been the sequel because I didn't remember anything but the shower scene where the female coach grabs the guy's dick but then that was the one scene that everybody talked about and it was the one that you saw if you saw any part of this flick.  Anyway, from my youth, Bob Clark was always associated with A CHRISTMAS STORY (1983) and through the years since I've seen a lot more of his catalog.  BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974) is fantastic!  I liked the atmosphere in this picture but a lot of the gags didn't land for me.  I liked the practical joke in the cabin with the boys thinking they're going to get laid but I wasn't laughing.  I'm sure if I saw this as a pre-pubescent boy I would've loved it but the middle-aged guy in me is in a much different place and I think that's the key to this film and others like it.  It helps to be closer in age to the main characters.  The 20th Century DVD presents the film in non-anamorphic widescreen with the sole extra a fullscreen trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment