Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Capture of Bigfoot (1979)

Director: Bill Rebane

Writers: Ingrid Neumayer, Bill Rebane, John F. Goff

Composer: ???

Starring: Janus Raudkivi, Randolph Rebane, Stafford Morgan, Katherine Hopkins, Richard Kennedy, Otis Young, John F. Goff,  George 'Buck' Flower, John Eimermann, Randoph (not that one) Scott

More info: IMDb

Tagline: A story so amazing it can only be true!

Plot: A small town has made an industry out of Bigfoot sightings and ancillary merchandising. All this may come to an end very soon though. A local businessman hopes to trap Bigfoot once and for all, so that he can get all the publicity gravy.

My rating: 4/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I was a kid of the 70s and that meant being glued to the TV every time there was anything sci-fi or crazy like it was at the height of the Bigfoot craze which this film was riding the waves of.  As an adult I like to watch the 70s Bigfoot pictures for the goof factor.  That and I'm a sucker for horror movies set in the wilderness.  This flick barely has any Bigfoot action and most of it is crammed into the last 7 minutes.  The acting as OK at best and sometimes it's pretty bad but I can appreciate that when you've got a low budget movie where you're relying on inexperienced actors or locals. The music is late 70s synthesizer which is a mixed bag but you do get a groovy club scene...



Yeah!  Disco the shit out of this.  I'd go 5 out of 10 on this one if it weren't so dull in spots.  You get just enough Bigfoot action (mere seconds every 20 minutes or so) to remind you of what you're watching. I don't know what you could do to fix this flick except tightening it up more and throw in a better score.  There are a lot of scenes with no music and that can mean death to any film.  I might feel a little better about this if maybe the print I saw wasn't a fullscreen VHS copy.  Instead of this I'd rather watch ANY 70s documentary on the subject.  Those are hilarious.  This film isn't even so bad it's good.



No comments:

Post a Comment