Monday, October 19, 2015

Land of the Dead (2005)

Director: George A. Romero

Writer: George A. Romero

Composers: Reinhold Heil, Johnny Klimek

Starring: Simon Baker, John Leguizamo, Dennis Hopper, Asia Argento, Robert Joy, Eugene Clark, Joanne Boland, Tony Nappo, Pedro Miguel Arce, Sasha Roiz, Krista Bridges

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The dead shall inherit the Earth.

Plot: The living dead have taken over the world, and the last humans live in a walled city to protect themselves as they come to grips with the situation.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again?  Maybe.

Nice!  I watched this right after DAWN OF THE DEAD (2004) (the DVD set is paired with them) and I had a night of unexpected fun. I really didn't know what I was in for as I had low expectations for both.  DAWN (remake) was a serious horror film while LAND played up the cheese in the acting and dialogue but Romero knew what he was going for.  It's really fun.  Baker makes for a good lead and it's nice seeing Leguizamo in good form.  There's a sense of fun throughout the picture that I really appreciated and it helps the pacing, too.  Look for Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright and Tom Savini in zombie cameos.  Charlie (Joy) was a great character to get behind.  I liked his confidence.  The only thing that only a little got on my nerves was the incredible amount of times the vehicle Dead Reckoning was mentioned by name.  Say it once or twice and be done with it. Geez. I about lost it when someone did the Wilhelm scream but recreated it themselves instead of playing the 60 something old recording.  This isn't a film to be taken all that seriously and it's obviously meant to enjoy without looking at it too critically yet at the same time Romero is adding little bits of new mythology to his modern zombie.


No comments:

Post a Comment