Thursday, July 17, 2014

Lone Survivor (2013)

Director: Peter Berg

Writers: Peter Berg, Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson

Composers: Steve Jablonsky, Explosions in the Sky

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, Yousuf Azami, Ali Suliman, Eric Bana, Alexander Ludwig, Rich Ting, Dan Blizerian

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Live to Tell the Story

Plot: Marcus Luttrell and his team set out on a mission to capture or kill notorious Taliban leader Ahmad Shah, in late June 2005. Marcus and his team are left to fight for their lives in one of the most valiant efforts of modern warfare.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

If there's one thing that people need to learn from watching movies is never, NEVER let anyone out of your custody who could tell the enemy where you are thereby endangering your entire unit.  Tie 'em up, shoot 'em, play gin rummy with 'em, anything but let 'em loose.  Wahlberg does a pretty good job at playing a regular Joe.  I'm just not that wild about Wahlberg I guess but in this picture he seemed less like a soldier (in the personality department, not on the technical side) which felt a little at odds with his mission or just for being a SEAL.  As for the movie, I liked it I guess but there was something missing that kept me from being completely engaged and that's important.  I wasn't really wondering all that much about what was going to happen next.  Because Wahlberg is the star of the picture it's pretty obvious which one of the four is going to be the titular character. I reckon I'm just disappointed that it wasn't as compelling as it could have or should have been.  I saw this in the theater, too, so I was surrounded by picture and sound.  It was touching that the villagers stood up to the Taliban. 

No comments:

Post a Comment