Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Ghost Rider (2007)

Director:  Mark Steven Johnson

Writer:  Mark Steven Johnson

Composer:  Christopher Young

Starring:  Nicolas Cage, Peter Fonda, Eva Mendes, Sam Elliott

More info:  IMDb

Tagline:  Long ago, he made a deal... to save someone he loved... What he didn't know was the price he would have to pay...

Plot:  When motorcycle rider Johnny Blaze sells his soul to the Devil to save his father's life, he is transformed into the Ghost Rider, the Devil's own bounty hunter, and is sent to hunt down sinners.



My rating:  7/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

For years, I've heard nothing but how shitty this movie is.  It's not that bad at all (I watched the extended version).  It's not great but I found it fun and enjoyable.   The casting was great.  Nicolas Cage did a good job in the role.  His hair was obviously dyed jet black which never quite looked right with his face.  He would've been about 43 at the time which isn't old enough to make a difference.  Maybe it was the hair style.  Anyway, I though Peter Fonda as Mephistopheles was a fun choice considering his 60s Biker genre flicks.  And Sam Elliott as Caretaker was a brilliant move.  He uplifts every movie he's in and that scene with him and Johnny near the end was great where he's riding a fire-y horse.  It could've been stupid as shit but with These two guys in the role, it worked for me.  I dug the set-up, and even though the meat of the story wasn't all that bad, I still liked the picture.  I'm not invested in the comics so I've got no history with the character.  I watch these comic book movies cold.   The sequel sounds like a fun rid even though the IMDb rating is even lower than this one.  I'm not going to beat down any doors to watch it but I will check it out someday.   Look at the cast on that one!  Ciaran Hinds, Idris Elba, Anthony Head.  Unfortunately, composer great Christopher Young didn't return for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment