Thursday, May 5, 2016

Billy Connolly: Erect for 30 Years (1999)

Directors:  Billy Sneddon, Andrew Gillman

Writer:  Billy Connolly

Starring: Billy Connolly, Sean Connery, Judi Dench, Whoopi Goldberg, Dustin Hoffman, Eddie Izzard, Michael Parkinson, Pamela Stephenson, Robin Williams

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The world's favorite comedian!

Plot:  Celebrities spend the first half of this video talking about what makes comedian Billy Connolly special, intermittent with clips of Connolly from films, stand-up and interviews.  What follows is a stand-up concert from Connolly.



My rating:  7.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Maybe.

I've been a fan of Connolly since I first saw him.  He's so likable and his sense of wonder and enthusiasm is contagious.  I popped this disc in expecting to see a concert film but instead there are lots of people I really dig talking about how great Connolly is but the best part is seeing vintage clips of Connolly as well as interviews and whatnot.  It's fun but I was a bit disappointed because I really wanted to see him doing his thing without other people getting in the way.  Less than halfway through Connolly is don't some stand-up and the people have stopped talking about him and it ends up being a concert special after all.  So you really get a lot more than you'd normally get with a stand-up special.  It's great.  The Delta DVD presents the film in fullscreen and there are no extras.

No comments:

Post a Comment