Sunday, May 15, 2016

Agnes of God (1985)

Director: Norman Jewison

Writer: John Pielmeier

Composer: Georges Delerue

Starring: Jane Fonda, Anne Bancroft, Meg Tilly, Anne Pitoniak, Winston Rekert, Gratien Gelinas, Guy Hoffmann, Gabriel Arcand

More info: IMDb

Tagline: What unspeakable crime took place behind the third floor window? Only Agnes knows. And Dr. Martha Livingston is the one person who can unravel the mystery.

Plot: When a naive novice nun is discovered with a dead newborn in her convent quarters, a court-appointed psychiatrist investigates her case.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

OK drama/thriller with a strong cast and good performances and an even stronger score by Georges Delerue.  I dig that guy's work A LOT and it only reminded me of how it's been far too long since I listened to his scores.  Gorgeous music.  I figured there wasn't going to be anything in this worthy of consideration to be included in the exploitation genre of Nunsploitation but I was at least hoping for something captivating enough to hold my attention.  I started to slip in the last half hour.  Perhaps the play was more engaging.  The Columbia DVD presents the film in anamorphic widescreen.  The only extras are two trailers (A SOLDIER'S STORY and THE CHINA SYNDROME - both fullscreen).

No comments:

Post a Comment