Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Green Hornet (2011)

Director: Michel Gondry

Starring: Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, Cameron Diaz, Tom Wilkinson, Christoph Waltz, David Harbour, Edward James Olmos, Jamie Harris, Chad Coleman, Edward Furlong

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Protect the law by breaking it.

Plot: Following the death of his father, Britt Reid, heir to his father's large company, teams up with his late dad's assistant Kato to become a masked crime fighting team.

 

My rating: 5.5/10

Will I watch it again? Noooooo.

I'm not going to waste much time on this one.  I watched the trailer before it hit the theaters and I didn't like the tone.  Now I like Seth Rogan but he was miscast by a country mile.  So I finally get around to slapping the DVD in a few weeks ago (I'm a few hundred movies behind in updating this site - work will do that sometimes) and my initial feelings about the trailer were right, despite giving this flick a clean slate.  The script and comedic angle didn't work.  Christoph Waltz's (the ONLY reason I wanted to see this)  talent was wasted.  His role was very weak.  He didn't have much to work with.  Jay Chou was the best part of the movie.  I kept hoping he'd kill Rogan and take over.  It's always fun watching Tom Wilkinson and seeing some familiar faces.  It's a wasted opportunity and a two hour one at that.  It had no business being that long.  I'm always astounded when a studio will take a known property like The Green Hornet and ruin a big-budget movie like this one, killing any number of chances of kick-starting a franchise and a great opportunity for merchandising.  I guess I can say I'm pleased there won't be a sequel.  I'm sure they'll re-boot this in four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment