Saturday, December 29, 2012

Outlander (2008)

Director: Howard McCain

Starring: Jim Caviezel, Sophia Myles, Jack Huston, John Hurt, Cliff Saunders, Patrick Stevenson, Aidan Devine, Ron Perlman

More info: IMDb

Tagline: It destroyed his world. He won't let it destroy ours.

Plot: During the reign of the Vikings, Kainan, a man from a far-off world, crash lands on Earth, bringing with him an alien predator known as the Moorwen. Though both man and monster are seeking revenge for violence committed against them, Kainan leads the alliance to kill the Moorwen by fusing his advanced technology with the Viking's Iron Age weaponry.

 

My rating: 5.5/10

Will I watch it again? Ah, noop.

The trailer looked good.  The premise looked good.  I'm a sucker for movies that take place way back when in history (especially European and Roman history).  And I digs me some science fiction.  What the hell happened here?  Jim Caviezel was pretty damn bland.  Maybe that was it.  It needed a likable lead.  I got the feeling that if we had been following the Earthlings instead of him and gotten their first hand perspective it would have been a more interesting picture.  It's a good looking and professionaly crafted movie and it's got some neat monsters and all but I just lost interest somewhere along the way and never re-gained it.  All I was left with was a strong hankering to slap in THE 13th WARRIOR (1999) to take the blah taste out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment