Sunday, March 16, 2014

Dracula in Istanbul (1953)

Original title: Drakula Istanbul'da

Director: Mehmet Muhtar

Writers: Umit Deniz, Ali Riza Seyfi, Bram Stoker

Composer: ???

Starring: Annie Ball, Cahit Irgat, Ayfer Feray, Bulent Oran, Atif Kaptan, Kemal Emin Bara, Kadri Ogelman, Munir Ceyhan

More info: IMDb

Plot: A re-telling of the 1931 film, Dracula.



My rating: 3/10

Will I watch it again? No.

Oh, for fuck's sake.  I watched a horrendously 'n'th generation VHS rip with no English language option.  Wait, I tortured myself sitting through it.  Then, as I wright this up, I see that it's on YouTube with a MUCH better print and with English subs.  Ugh.  I wish I had know that before.  Well, a lot of my displeasure with this picture is because the copy I had was in such a terrible condition.  It was really tough to watch.  If you're curious about seeing this, just watch the above YouTube video.  I wish I had but I can't base this review on anything but what I saw.  It was a slugfest to endure with the picture quality so poor and all and I couldn't understand the language.  I don't know why I'm even bothering putting this up on the blog except for I'm obsessive about putting every movie I see on it, regardless.  The music is repetitive, the acting and direction stale and flat.  The only positive I've got to say is the one thing Bram Stoker and Tod Browning completely dropped the ball on omitting.  Belly dancers!




No comments:

Post a Comment