Sunday, July 29, 2012

MoH 111: Pick Me Up (2006)


Director: Larry Cohen

Starring: Michael Moriarty, Fairuza Balk, Warren Kole, Laurene Landon, Malcolm Kennard, Tom Pickett, Peter Benson

More info: IMDb

Plot: In the middle of nowhere, with only a two-lane highway to connect it to anywhere--probably upstate New York--a recently divorced female traveler, who is a passenger on a bus that has broken down, gets caught in a bizarre and violent turf war between serial killers.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Sure.

I'm a huge fan of Larry Cohen's work although I'm ashamed that I haven't gone through his entire catalog. IT'S ALIVE (1974) and GOD TOLD ME TO (1976) are great genre flicks that are high in entertainment. He knows how to make a fun picture. PICK ME UP delivers some fun characters and an interesting premise, one I'm surprised hasn't been done before. Michael Moriarty is having a good time as the killer trucker. Part of my enjoyment came from seeing him totally against type. He hams it up a little too much at times but I can forgive it considering the story. This isn't exactly THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991) but there is a great scene involving skinning a female victim. Yummy. The conclusion is wickedly funny, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment