Saturday, July 16, 2011

Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966)


Director: Don Sharp

Starring: Christopher Lee, Barbara Shelley, Richard Pasco, Francis Matthews, Suzan Farmer

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Now the Astounding Truth About ... "Rasputin: The Mad Monk"

Plot: Thrown out of his monastery for licentious and drunken behaviour, Rasputin travels to St. Petersburg to try his luck. Through a dalliance with one of the czarina's ladies in waiting he soon gains influence at court with his powers of healing and of hypnotism. But he also makes enemies who wish to see him dead.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Probably not but then it is a Hammer horror flick and I'm a sucker for these pictures.

#29 on Hammer Horror (1957-1976)

I love how this is the amazing true story of Rasputin. The history books lied to me. RASPUTIN is just a bunch of nonsense but at the core of that silliness is Christopher Lee dancing, drinking, whoring and pushing people about. Like most Hammer horror pictures it's about an hour and a half, looks great and provides an atmospheric bit of entertainment. I don't think the film makers went far enough. Rasputin makes his way into the inner circle of royalty but they should have had him commit more murders and crimes before offing him. And by the way, could they have taken longer to kill him? Seriously? He hangs about in that room forever before he drinks the poisoned wine. OOOOOPS! Spoilers. Unless you're current on your Rasputin history lesson in school.


Man! I've just GOT to get my hands on one of those beards! I'll be up to my elbows in pussy before the week starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment