Saturday, April 24, 2010

Murder: No Apparent Motive (1984)


Director: Imre Horvath

Starring: Tons of delightful folks like Ted Bundy, Ed Kemper, David Berkowitz, John Wayne Gacy, Wayne Williams, etc

More Info: IMDB

Plot: Documentary about serial killers and FBI Behavioral Sciences Profilers. Interviews with Ed Kemper and Ted Bundy as well as crime victims and law enforcement officials.



My Rating: 9/10

Would I watch it again? Absolutely

Growing up in Pensacola, Florida during the 1970s, you basically had three career options to getting out; being an astronaut, a high wire trapeze artist or a serial killer. Unfortunately, my math skills were lacking and I was afraid of heights but the sight of blood didn't bother me. Hmmmmm.

Mr. Song & Dance Man, Charlie Manson

But seriously, what is it that we humans find fascinating about serial killers? The two aspects that interest me are the law enforcement hunt, the putting together the pieces of the grisly puzzle, and the killer's ability to continue their crimes without getting caught. For as long as I can remember I've always been more than curious about how things work. Whether it's trying to figure out how movie effects are made or how magicians perform their tricks, the art and skill in which these people perform to deceive is remarkable. Even once I know how a trick is performed, I marvel at the talent and work that went into making it believable.

6'9" tall Ed "C0-Ed Killer" Kemper

This documentary gives you a general overview of the relatively new phenomena (serial killing has been around for ages but it really started to blossom in the 1950s onward), touching on the big names while its main focus is on two figures, Ed Kemper and Ted Bundy (whose arrest in Pensacola put a stop to his killing spree). In John Douglas's excellent book on his participation in the creation of the Behavioral Sciences division of the FBI in the 1970s, MINDHUNTER, he goes into more detail about these and many other killers they hunted over the years. I recently picked it up and it's sparked my longtime interest in the subject once again. I've devoured scores of documentaries on the subject which I will be writing about shortly.

Ted Bundy

John Wayne Gacy

Blatant product placement

M:NAM is a fantastic look at the subject and handles it with care and respect. Some highlights include extensive interviews with super cool G-Man, Robert Ressler (who, along with Douglas, was instrumental in the Behavioral Science division) and serial murderer, Ed Kemper. Until recently I hadn't heard of him. His story is fascinating and I highly recommend Googling/YouTubing it.


Sadly this doc has not made it to DVD and it can be found on VHS for a few bucks on Amazon. It's definitely worth seeking out but I'm sure there have been documentaries since that rival this one but M:NAM has that great feel of the old 8 & 16mm classroom films we used to get way back when. Ahhhh, childhood, where dreams could still come true...

No comments:

Post a Comment