Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Keep (1983)


Director: Michael Mann

Starring: Scott Glenn, Alberta Watson, Jurgen Prochnow, Robert Prosky, Gabriel Byrne, Ian McKellen

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: THEY WERE ALL DRAWN TO THE KEEP. The soldiers who brought death. The father and daughter fighting for life. The people who have always feared it. And the one man who knows its secret... THE KEEP Tonight, they will all face the evil.

Plot: Nazis guard a citadel that harbors a dangerous force that starts wreaking havoc and death upon them, forcing an uneasy alliance with a Jewish professional who can stop it.



My Rating: 5/10

Would I watch it again? Nope.

Man, how about that long-ass tagline? It's size is commensurate with how long this movie feels. In my adolescence I had tried several times to watch this without falling asleep. I eventually made it but at a price. What a great concept for a movie that just lays there in front of you. it's like watching someone die over the course of a week and you keep hoping for some pearl of wisdom to come out of their mouth but when they speak they just give you the instructions on how to operate a rock. After all these years I FINALLY got my hands on a good widescreen print. Not much has changed.


The Good: Amazing set, great look and feel with more fog than 19th century London. The build-up to the release of the demon is well-executed and effective.


The Bad: With such a fantastic cast of (now) world famous actors it's a shame that few of them really turn in a good performance. For me the standout is Prochnow. I've always enjoyed his work ever since I first saw DAS BOOT (1981). Though he's got a ton of credits he never really made it to the A-List. And as much as I like McKellen, he's hammy here. There are some quality moments but that's offset with too much scenery chewing (as much as I'm sick of that expression).


The Ugly: IT'S FUCKING DULL AS HELL! There are very few synth/electronic scores that I'm keen on. John Carpenter always impressed me with his and Maurice Jarre can be OK (his score for WITNESS is criminal for not being orchestral). Tangerine Dream delivers this one and it's good and moody sometimes but then there are a few scenes where it's completely off the charts in the appropriate department. Count me out.

It's really a shame that this is so dreadful. The story is so ripe with atmosphere. I mean, come on. Nazis and demons? Bring it but don't bring THE KEEP. At 96 minutes it's 4 hours too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment