Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bond 14: A View to a Kill (1985)


Director: John Glen

Starring: Roger Moore, Christopher Walken

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Adventure Above And Beyond All Other Bonds

Plot: An investigation of a horse-racing scam leads 007 to a mad industrialist who plans to create a worldwide microchip monopoly by destroying California's Silicon Valley.



My Rating: 5/10

Would I watch it again? Don't bet much on it

WTF? Christopher Walken is the bad guy! How could they go wrong? Let me count the ways...

This entry makes me sad. I've enjoyed all of Moore's Bond pictures until this one. Much has been said that he looked far too old. I disagree. There is the odd shot here and there where he does look old but otherwise he looks great for a man of 58. He's a couple of years older than Connery and when he left the series in '71 he sure wasn't looking like he used to.


We get one of the lamest pre-credit sequence to date. WTF with the Beach Boys tune? Kill me now. Great title song by Duran Duran. Great score by John Barry. I'm even OK with Grace Jones (yeah, I'd probably hit that if for no other reason to satisfy my curiosity that she's really a woman.) The Eiffel Tower sequence was nice as was the chase afterward. In fact, much of the first half of the movie is great until they get to San Francisco and Tanya Roberts opens her mouth and doesn't shut it until the end credits roll.


Wesley Snipes or Grace Jones? There's only one way to find out...

The playfulness between Moore and Patrick Macnee was wonderful and is probably the highlight of the film. The story itself wasn't so bad even if it relied on many plot devices from previous Bonds (as they have for many years now). BUT JESUS TITTY-FUCKING CHRIST! Why the FUCK did they put Tanya Roberts in this thing? She's absolutely hideous. Every time she opened her mouth and nothing went into it I could feel a tiny pin prick in my kidneys. By the time the movie was over I was in too much pain to continue. She's annoying as hell. The tired and uninteresting city hall fire and fire truck chase scenes were tired and pointless.


I've got nothing else to say. It's sad that this film has a pretty strong first half has a lousy second half. I can put up with quite a bit but there's only so far I can go. Over the years I've seen this one a few time thinking that maybe it's just me. No, it isn't me. It's this. I think I've watched this for the last time.

Scorethefilm will return with his thoughts to...

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS (1987)

No comments:

Post a Comment