Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Man Bites Dog (1992)


Dir: Remy Belvaux & Andre Bonzel

Starring: Benoit Poelvoorde and a crap-load of French

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: A Killer Comedy

Plot: A camera crew follows a serial killer/thief around as he exercises his craft. He expounds on art, music, nature, society, and life as he offs mailmen, pensioners, and random people. Slowly he begins involving the camera crew in his activities, and they begin wondering if what they're doing is such a good idea, particularly when the killer kills a rival and the rival's brother sends a threatening letter.







My Rating: 9/10
Would I watch it again? HELL, YES!

WOW! Why haven't I seen this before? This was amazing; an IN-YOUR-FACE foray into violence and extremely dark humor. I'd heard about this practically since it came out but never got around to it until now. Stunning.

The black & white photography is magnificently stark and cold. The film plays much like a reality TV show insomuch as a three-man camera crew follows this average dorky-looking guy around as he steals and kills. The Killer, Ben, mugs for the camera at every turn and he really sees himself as something of a celebrity. He "plays" to the camera never forgetting that it's all about him. The deaths are brutal. Ben kills without conscience and with a smile.



"Granny Snuff, ever been snuffed out?"

This film is a sucker punch to the gut if you're not prepared for it. With all the crazy and sick shit in films I've seen I'm always pleasantly surprised when something knocks me off my rocker. I watched it with a couple of friends and we were all fucking side blinded by this film. It's amazing. It's beautiful. It's horrific. It's hysterical. It's brutal and it is absolutely worth your time if you've read this far.

1 comment:

  1. Of all the myriad of movies I own, this is defo. one of my favorites..1 0/10.. undeniably funny and cunning dark humor.

    ReplyDelete