Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Host (2006)


Dir: Joon-ho Bong

Starring: Koreans, South Koreans that is

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: It is Lurking Behind You

Plot: A monster emerges from Seoul's Han River and focuses its attention on attacking people.








My Rating: 6
Would I watch it again? No



What's that? A South Korean monster flick? I'm on it. Well, I was at first. The set-up is good and it doesn't take too too long before the monster shows up. AND WHAT A MONSTER!!! This guy is amazing. The filmmakers did a fantastic job in creating something that feels new and fresh. It's killing people and fast! Huge body count. Nice. What's not to like?



Most of the time the monster isn't on screen, that's what. It's just that the scenes with the monster are sooooooo friggin' cool that the actor's are just filler (and lunch) whenever the monster's not there. I'm cool with that to a degree. It's necessary but the movie clocks one minute shy of 2 hours! That's my biggest issue and the reason I can't give it a better score. I watched it with friends and we were all diggin' it but quickly got figgity after 15 minutes of "no monster" and way too much talking with little movement.



It's fun. I liked it but there were two or three spots where it felt like a chore to sit through. Add a few more shots of the monster in action and lose about 20-30 minutes of the character development and you've got a solid horror movie that I'd watch again and again. Movin' on...

No comments:

Post a Comment