Sunday, June 3, 2018

The League of Gentlemen (1960)

Director: Basil Dearden

Writers: John Boland, Bryan Forbes

Composer: Philip Green

Starring: Jack Hawkins, Nigel Patrick, Roger Livesey, Richard Attenborough, Bryan Forbes, Kieron Moore, Terence Alexander, Norman Bird, Robert Coote, Nigel Green, Oliver Reed

More info: IMDb

Tagline: What is the league ... Who are the gentlemen?

Plot: A disgruntled veteran recruits a group of disgraced colleagues to perform a bank robbery with military precision.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

Well this was an interesting picture.  The setup to bring all of these characters together was fun.  Along the way we meet each of them and get a sense of who they are and, for some, their motivation on why they would want in on this scheme.  Once the team is assembled the picture moves onto preparing for the caper and then the aftermath.  This isn't a laugh out loud comedy but there is some good funny.  It's more lighthearted.  Oliver Reed has a brief walk-on bit and he's hilarious.




I about lost my shit at that.  I miss him.  Anyway, I won't spoil anything but the post-heist ending is unconventional.  I'm not sure I liked how things turn out.  I'm not used to this kind of thing coming out of England in this era.  It feels like it belongs more firmly in the mid-70s.  Maybe it'll sit better with me the next time I see it.  It's a good picture but don't expect a laugh out loud comedy caper.

I almost forgot, the second biggest laugh is right here.  Fucking classic!



Now go watch it.




No comments:

Post a Comment