Friday, January 9, 2015

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

Director: Wes Anderson

Writers: Wes Anderson, Owen Wilson

Starring: Gene Hackman, Angelica Huston, Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Luke Wilson, Bill Murray, Danny Glover, Seymour Cassel, Kumar Pallana, Alec Baldwin

Composer: Mark Mothersbaugh

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Family Isn't A Word... It's A Sentence.

Plot:  An estranged family of former child prodigies reunites when their father announces he is terminally ill.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

With a cast like this it's a no-brainer.  They're all wonderfully odd in their own way.  It's not as magical and delightful a picture as his most recent two films but this was Anderson's third picture and you can tell with each film he gets better and better. I dig the guy's style.  There are a few out of nowhere belly laughs but the film is more of a light, quirky drama considering the issues I guess.  It's a fun watch but if you've already seen MOONRISE KINGDOM (2012) or THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (2014), shake them out of your system before (re)visiting this one.  It's been ages since I saw this but I do have a better respect for the picture than I did all those years ago.  I dig the picture but I've seen it twice now and if I'm going to re-visit some Wes Anderson someday, it'll be something else. The Criterion 2 DVD set has a ton of great extras.

No comments:

Post a Comment