Friday, January 23, 2015

The Lost Boys (1987)

Director: Joel Schumacher

Writers: Jan Fischer, James Jeremias, Jeffrey Boam

Composer: Thomas Newman

Starring: Jason Patrick, Corey Haim, Dianne Wiest, Barnard Hughes, Edward Herrmann, Kiefer Sutherland, Jami Gertz, Corey Feldman, Alex Winter

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire.

Plot: After moving to a new town, two brothers are convinced that the area is frequented by vampires.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Nope.

I saw this way back when and it was OK.  Maybe if this caught me a few years earlier at age 14 I would have different feelings about it.  It's still just OK.  It's more style over substance with a bunch of pretty people looking pretty and living dangerously.  Grandpa (Hughes) is hilarious and I dig the carnival atmosphere.  The vampire gang lead by Sutherland got on my nerves.  They dress like what Hollywood thinks punks look like which is mostly idiotic.  It's also a film that's clearly a product of its time with the music, hair and so on.  There's some fun here and there which goes a long way in keeping this entertaining but there's also some meh every once in a while.  The Warner Bros. snapcase DVD has a flipper disc with the fullscreen version on one side and the non-anamorphic widescreen version on the other.  The only extras are text only and the anamorphic widescreen theatrical trailer.  I'm sure there's a newer version that's better in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment