Friday, August 7, 2009

Hated: G.G. Allin and the Murder Junkies (1994)


Director: Todd Phillips

Starring: GG Allin

More Info: IMDB

Plot: Documentary about the life and death of the notorious underground punk icon GG Allin, the foul mouthed, heroin shooting lead singer of the Murder Junkies, who would throw excrement at the crowd, start fights with the biggest guys in the audience, and threatened to kill himself onstage. He was considered the lowest common denominator of our society by some, an avant-garde artist by others.



My Rating: 7/10

Would I watch it again? I could be persuaded with a specially-chosen group.

This...is...fucked...up! Watch in absolute amazement the antics of a talentless, relentless, dangerous, idiot nut job punk rocker named G.G. Allin. Wow. I'm rarely stunned, shocked or surprised to the point this film made me. It's insane. Oh, and his music is shit.

So, we've established who he was. Now let's see what he did. We will try to accomplish this in pictures.


These are TAME compared to what you see in this documentary. He freely cuts himself across his stomach and chest with a razor blade, while lying on his back he has a girl piss on his face and he begins to vomit up the hot dogs he woofed down, he brutally beats the snout (and has it beat out of him) of concert goers (including women), he's naked A LOT, he puts bananas up his ass (ON STAGE) and let's 'em fly (I think he even eats it), he shits on stage during a concert (I think he even eats that, too). The list goes on and fucking on. THIS...IS...FUCKED...UP!

We get to meet all kinds of lovely folks through this 90 minute romp through the underbelly of the classical music world. For example, there his drummer...who likes to play naked. Why? I'll let him tell you. It's more special that way.


"There are physical reasons for it [playing naked] because of if I wear clothing, I play very heavily and I sit very hard on the drum seat and I irritate my skin, severely sometimes, and it really hurts and if I sit on plastic or on a good vinyl seat, with nothing underneath, I don't get hurt. That's basically the main reason."

GG wasn't the only one who was mental. He was surrounded by them.


I would say the guy's got balls but, as you can see in the pictures, he clearly doesn't. He speaks like Charles Manson on a bad day. He's deluded and he's a moron. The documentary crew follows him over the course of the last year or two of his life. He died of a drug overdose during post production. Surprise. They came back and shot some funeral footage. He was buried wearing a jacket and a jock strap, holding a beer. Now that's class. I'm now inspired to take my own band to new, lower heights.


This film is an exercise in your ability to finish it without tossing your cookies. I made it, therefore it rates a 7. It really is a fascinating look at what happens when you just don't care. We're surrounded by people that would like to have that kind of attitude, not necessarily taking it as far as GG did, but get distracted by shiny objects due to their short attention spa... Ooh, look! A bobble head.


No comments:

Post a Comment