Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Boob Tube: Sex, TV and Ugly George (2008)

Director:  Danny Schechter

Writer:  Danny Schechter


Starring:  Ugly George, Ed Koch, Danny Schechter

More info:  IMDb

Tagline: Hide your daughters!

Plot:  Before reality TV, before "Girls Gone Wild", before the idea of young ladies baring their breasts for the camera became vogue, Ugly George roamed the streets of New York and persuaded young women to undress for his camera. How did he get away with it? Why would any woman in her right mind cooperate?  "Boob Tube" documents two stories, one about a one man crusading machine against hypocrisy and two, about society's deep rooted obsession with naked women.



My rating:  7/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

Man, I wish I lived in NYC in the 70s & 80s AND had cable.  This guy was walking the streets dating back to the mid-70s with a camera rig strapped to him trying to get women to show their tits and strip.  And he made over 700 half hour TV shows of it!  Is it gratuitous?  Yes.  Is he a pig?  Yes.  But you have to understand one thing and that bare boobs!  OK, I guess that's technically two things...from a certain point of view.  My pre-pubescent self would've gone apeshit of that show.  But, that was then and this is now.  I'm shocked that, after all these decades, I'm just now finding out about this guy.  He's an unabashed, unapologetic pig, and a cocky one at that.  It drove me nuts how he said 'girls' as 'goils'.  Maybe he's got a little Popeye in him.  This documentary is LOADED with nudity and you're going to want to check this out if you're a fan of boobs.  Fans of dongers are going to have to look elsewhere.  I wonder if there's a female equivalent to Ugly George.  Anyway, learning about what this guy did and got away with is interesting.  Even though he's a misogynist pig, he makes for a very colorful character.  Plus, boobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment