Friday, March 16, 2018

The Infiltrator (2016)

Director: Brad Furman

Writers: Ellen Sue Brown, Robert Mazur

Composer: Chris Hajian

Starring: Bryan Cranston, Olympia Dukakis, John Leguizamo, Diane Kruger, Benjamin Bratt, Amy Ryan, Yul Vazquez, Joseph Gilgun, Carsten Hayes, Mark Holden

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The true story of one man against the biggest drug cartel in history.

Plot: A U.S. Customs official uncovers a money laundering scheme involving Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Definitely.

I liked the film but I didn't love it.  It's a well made picture with good performances and everything is done like you would want in a major motion picture but the one thing that was missing was tension.  I didn't feel it.  Now it's possible this story was meant to be told exactly as it lays out without trying to be more compelling than it is.  If that's the case then they succeeded but if the filmmakers were going for something that had some suspense and more substantial meat to it then it misses the mark.  I'm perfectly OK with that, too, as it's an entertaining and interesting picture.  Over the past couple of years I've watched a lot of films, TV shows (like NARCOS) and documentaries on this subject and they've nearly all been great so maybe, just maybe, I'm approaching the limit or, at the very least, the bar has been set high just from having watched so much good product in a short period of time.  Shit, that was a long sentence.  The performances are very good and fans of any of these fine actors won't go away disappointed.  The only thing I was left with is how odd Cranston looks, at his age in his 60s, sporting that jet black hair and jet black mustache playing a man half his age.  He's such a good actor that he sells it but the sheer darkness of his hair is unnatural.  He was also the executive producer of Robert Mazur's true story.  I watched this on Amazon Prime.  If I came across the Blu on this I'd definitely pick it up if it has extras and the price is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment