Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Missing (2003)

Director: Ron Howard

Writers: Thomas Eidson, Ken Kaufman

Composer: James Horner

Starring: Tommy Lee Jones, Cate Blanchett, Evan Rachel Wood, Jenna Boyd, Aaron Eckhart, Val Kilmer, Sergio Calderon, Eric Schweig, Steve Reevis, Jay Tavare, Simon Baker, Ray McKinnon

More info: IMDb

Tagline: How far would you go, how much would you sacrifice to get back what you have lost?

Plot: In 1885 New Mexico, a frontier medicine woman forms an uneasy alliance with her estranged father when her daughter is kidnapped by an Apache brujo.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I can't quite put my finger on why I'm not diggin' on this film.  The performances are fine I suppose.  Horner's score is mediocre (and I'm getting so tired of the pan flute showing up in every movie with Indians or Irish).  It could be the abundance of drama or that it feels like it's a half hour too long.  There's something about it that kept it from being compelling and enjoyable.  It's an OK picture but it was fatiguing to watch.  The scene near the end when Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett have their extended moment was nice.  You know, I think having a non-traditional sweeping Western score would have served the film better.  Ah.  I'm moving on.  The two-disc Columbia special edition DVD comes with a bunch of extras but I didn't bother to see what they are.  Maybe I'll get my two bucks back at a yard sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment