Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Bloodlust: Subspecies III (1994)

Director: Ted Nicolaou

Writer: Ted Nicolaou

Composers: Richard Kosinski, William Levine, Michael Portis

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Love Bleeds

Plot: Still in the thrall of the evil vampire Radu, Michelle yearns to be taught the skills of the vampire. Meanwhile, her sister Becky tries to free her from his evil clutches, and this time, she's brought some help.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

Since this was filmed back to back with the second film, it's pretty much more of the same except it's duller.  One thing I didn't cover in that review was that the acting by the two baddies, Radu (Hove) and his mother, Mummy (Gordon), is over the top but not so much that it ruins the picture.  That's a style choice that I don't dig where the grotesque, once-human, creatures have to behave all twisty and gruesome and their speech is filled with hisses, lots of air and the exaggerated facial expressions.  Even when Radu is talking one on one with his woman he's like that even if it is toned down for that scene just a little.  I can't stand it.  Wouldn't it be nice if the head vampire was more articulate (you can still have them look nasty and falling apart) instead of a gassy monster?  There's barely any stop motion animation (the first two films had a lot more) and the little subspecies  dudes on the fucking poster only show up at the end for mere seconds as if to get all in your face with it to remind you that they didn't forget about a big reason why you watched this to begin with.  Well, at least that's a reason why I watched it and I was very disappointed they were all but absent from the film.  Oh, and the music is a mixed bag.  The synth stuff is forgettable but the Romanian folk-influenced stuff was great.  The Full Moon DVD sports a fullscreen transfer with the only extra being a 7 minute behind the scenes making of featurette. If you saw the one for the second film it's just more of the same as this was filmed alongside the other.  You're really not getting much more from this one. I know there's another sequel but I'm done with this franchise.  I really want to see that badass little fuckers wreaking havoc in Romania.  I guess I'll have to sleep-induce that dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment