Monday, June 3, 2013

Ted (2012)

Director: Seth MacFarlane

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Seth MacFarlane, Patrick Stewart, Joel McHale, Giovanni Ribisi, Patrick Warburton, Sam J. Jones, Alex Borstein

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Ted is coming.

Plot: As the result of a childhood wish, John Bennett's teddy bear, Ted, came to life and has been by John's side ever since - a friendship that's tested when Lori, John's girlfriend of four years, wants more from their relationship.


My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah.


I'm a fan of MacFarlane's, the premise sounded fun and it's got Sam "FLASH GORDON" Fucking Jones in it.  I'm glad I missed this at the theater because, from what I've heard, the unrated version only released on video is a lot funnier.  I laughed my ass off and I can't imagine how tame the theatrical cut is in comparison.  Not only is TED genuinely funny but there's a real friendship between John (Wahlberg) and Ted (MacFarlane) that was surprisingly well done.  The jokes are fucking hilarious and there are a shit ton of them (in the unrated version). 


The bit about the hooker shit had me in stitches and the party scene with Sam Jones was loads of fun.  One thing I liked about MacFarlane's live action directorial debut is that the jokes don't stop and the picture is filled with laughs from start to finish.  It's not a one-joke movie where the idea wears thin.  MacFarlane goes beyond the typical Hollywood cash grab approach (he even makes fun of those types of comedies by ragging on Adam Sandler) and delivers a movie with heart but most of all, with lots of funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment